|Rōmaji||Sumomo mo Momo mo ~Chijō Saikyō no Yome~|
|Genre||Harem, Martial Arts, Romance, Comedy|
|Original Run||October 5, 2006 – March 15, 2007|
|Episodes||22 (List of Episodes) + 2 OVAs|
|Duration||24 Minutes (per episode)|
Sumomomo Momomo: The Strongest Bride on Earth (すもももももも〜地上最強のヨメ〜 Sumomo mo Momo mo ~Chijō Saikyō no Yome~) is a Japanese manga series created by Japanese author Shinobu Ohtaka. The manga was first serialized in the Japanese manga magazine Young Gangan in 2004, which is published by Square Enix. The manga has been licensed by Yen Press for distribution in North America. The manga was later adapted into an anime which aired in Japan between October 5, 2006 and March 15, 2007, containing twenty-two aired episodes, and two original video animation episodes. The series centers around a young girl, a strong martial artist, who wants to marry and bear a child with a boy that she believes to be a strong fighter. The title is based on the Japanese tongue twister Sumomo mo momo, momo mo momo, sumomo mo momo mo momo no uchi, which means Plums are peaches, and peaches are peaches, and plums and peaches are both types of peaches.
- Sumomomo Momomo revolves around the life of Koushi Inuzuka, a normal high school student who is aspiring to become a prosecutor after graduating. One day, a strange girl named Momoko Kuzuryuu approaches him and informs him that they are betrothed and expected to produce a strong child together, though Koushi does not accept it. The betrothal came about after Koushi's father and Momoko's father both arranged the marriage between their respective kids. After Koushi and Momoko's initial meeting, Koushi realizes that Momoko is not just a normal, though however strange, girl, as she has been trained by her father in a special form of martial arts that only twelve such families in all of Japan are able to possess. These twelve families coincide with the twelve animals of the Chinese zodiac, where Momoko is from the family associated with Dragons, while Koushi is from the family associated with Dogs. The Dragon family is the head of the six families of the west, whereas the Dog family is the head of the six families of the east.
- Before long, it is revealed to Koushi and Momoko that five of the six western families are out on a plot to assassinate Koushi to prevent him from marrying Momoko, which would cement the twelve families together by bonds of blood. This assassination would be the start of a martial artist war, which would be the seventh such war of the twelve zodiac Masters of Japan. Koushi must now fight for his life as Momoko protects him, hoping he will return her affection.
- The Sumomomo Momomo manga series was first serialized in the Japanese manga magazine Young Gangan in 2004, published by Square Enix. Later, the individual chapters were collected into bound volumes, and twelve such volumes have been released in Japan. The manga has been licensed by Yen Press for distribution in English in North America. The manga was initially serialized in Yen Press' Yen Plus anthology magazine, the first issue of which went on sale on July 29, 2008. The first English volume of the manga went on sale in early 2009.
- See also: Volumes and Chapters
- The Sumomomo Momomo anime first aired in Japan on October 5, 2006 on TV Asahi. The anime is directed by Nobuaki Nakanishi. It ended on March 15, 2007 with a total of twenty-two aired episodes. Two more OVA episodes were released as the final anime DVD on August 24, 2007.
- See also: List of Episodes
- Sumomomo Momomo Manga - Official Website (Japanese)
- Sumomomo Momomo Anime - Official Website (Japanese)
- Sumomomo Momomo (Anime) at Anime News Network's Encyclopedia
References & CitationsEdit
- ↑ "Yen Press Announces Titles to Run in Anthology Mag". Anime News Network. April 19, 2008. Retrieved 2008-04-19.